Monday, August 16, 2010

Taking Time For Whom? by Rina Jakubowicz ©

One of the hardest things to do is take time for yourself. I am finding this trend with everyone I meet, including myself. There are always things that can get in the way, and there is always something that can be done instead.


I am a victim of this contagious and quickly spreading epidemic. Even though, I am completely aware of the fact that I am not a victim, but the cause, it is hard to shake off.


I feel all of the negative side effects; waves of fatigue, rashes of anxiety, increased stress, momentary irritability, guilt, complaining outbreaks, shortness of breath. All of these lead to disease, which ultimately leaves us dead; stressfully dead. I know this may sound negative and morbid, but it’s the truth. And if we don’t wake up while we are still alive, then what’s the point?


Many of us, including myself, wait for opportunities to come or for the perfect time to start the diet, exercise or project. We wait for when the stars have aligned perfectly and all will fall into place naturally. But, that’s a bunch of bullsh%t! We have to use our tapas (the fire within, not the Spanish munchies) to create the spark for change and choose ourselves first. Don’t leave it up to the other guy ‘cause that guy is leaving it up to you. Now, I know I am trying to inspire you to make time for yourself and your health, but I will shed some light on my own hard habits to break in order to help you see that everyone struggles with the same.


My hard habit is sleeping in late every day. I love finding comfort in sleeping cozily until 9am. I convinced myself that it’s a blessing since most people who have 9-to-5 jobs can’t enjoy the same benefits. But, now, instead of a blessing, it has become a bit of a curse, because while I am laying there, I feel guilty. I say to myself “Rina, wake up! Go practice yoga, do your breathing exercises and meditate for an hour. Take a shower, eat your healthy food and get your day started NOW!!!” But, I don’t listen. I’m torn in the morning, because I feel I “should” appreciate my healthy body and wake up and start my day off the healthiest way I “know” how, but I don’t. I could also be saying to myself, “Don’t feel guilty and just accept your vice and move on.”


Regardless, in the end, this is what I say to myself, and trust me, I listen… sigh, “Isn’t this the coziest of mornings? Just stay here a little longer enjoying your yummy sleep. Dream away, Rina, dream away.” And, by the way, every morning is a cozy morning for me. I must admit that I admire those who do wake up early and are so productive. They must have the early bird software installed. My installed software is the “late bloomer.”


So, to bring this full circle, the justification for sleeping in is that I take this cozy sleepy time as my time to myself even though I may feel guilty for it. This, somehow, doesn’t seem fair. But, it is what it is.


This feeling of guilt got me to thinking that many people I know also feel the same way about the time they take for themselves. This guilt is involved when we decide to say “no” to others and say “yes” to ourselves. That just seems like crazy talk. And it is, but this kind of backward mentality has been instilled in us for decades. Fortunately, I do feel that people are becoming more conscious of this programming. The hard part is changing it. But, we have to start by accepting the fact that making yourself the most important priority doesn’t mean you are selfish, narcissistic, ego-centered, cocky, etc. In fact, if done with love and understanding, it’s the most selfless thing you could do! So, I encourage you to take your time back now.


How do you take time for yourself?


Let’s ride with this forward mentality. Where’s your next stop? ☺



No comments:

Post a Comment